Burton-Upon-Trent, a market town of Staffordshire, England, 21 m. E. of Stafford, in a parish of its own name, which lies partly in Staffordshire and partly in Derbyshire; pop. in 1871, 26,358. It is situated in a pleasant vale on the left bank of the Trent, which is navigable to this point by barges, and was formerly crossed here by a remarkable and very ancient freestone bridge of 36 arches, which was partially pulled down and replaced by one of 29 arches in 1863-'4. The streets are well paved and lighted with gas. There are three handsome churches, chapels belonging to various dissenting congregations, a free grammar school for boys, a library and newsroom, almshouses, a union workhouse, a dispensary, and a savings bank. Burton was formerly noted for alabaster works, but its chief production now is the famous ale to which it gives its name, and which is consumed in large quantities in Europe, America, and Asia. In 1870 there were 26 breweries in operation, including the immense establishments of Bass and Allsopp, covering respectively about 40 and 50 acres. The other branches of industry are malting, tanning, rope making, iron forging, and the manufacture of cotton and hats.
There are fairs five times a year, and a weekly market on Thursday. Burton has communication with all parts of England by the Midland railway and the North Staffordshire and Leicester and Swannington lines; and a branch of the Grand Trunk (or Trent and Mersey) canal joins the Trent about a mile below. - The abbey of Burton, some remains of which are yet visible, was founded about 1002 by an earl of Mercia, and subsequently received charters and privileges from the crown. Some of the abbots sat in parliament. Henry VIII., on the suppression of the monasteries, granted part of the possessions of this abbey, including the town and several hamlets, to an ancestor of the marquis of Anglesey, the present lord of the manor, who thence derives the right of appointing officers for the government of the town.