Cape Girardeau, a S. E. county of Missouri; area, 875 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,558, of whom 1,64G were colored. It is separated from Illinois on the east by the Mississippi river, and is drained by the head streams of the Whitewater and by Apple creek. Good timber is found, and the cypress especially grows in nearly all parts. The surface is level, and the fertile soil is carefully and extensively cultivated. The St. Louis and Iron Mountain railroad passes through the S. W. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 260,445 bushels of wheat, 538,437 of Indian corn, 136,601 of oats, 3,292 tons of hay, 30,081 lbs. of wool, and 55,-045 of tobacco. There were 5,454 horses, 1,415 mules and asses, 3,862 milch cows, 5,204 other cattle, 15,297 sheep, and 27,784 swine. Capital, Jackson.
Cape Girardeau, a city of Cape Girardeau co., Mo., on the Mississippi, 100 m. S. S. E. of St. Louis; pop. in 1870, 3,585, of whom 502 were colored. It is situated in a rich and well cultivated country, and has a good landing. Two weekly newspapers are published. It is the seat of St. Vincent's college, a Roman Catholic institution.