Chatillon-Sir-Seine, a town of France, in the department of Cote d'Or, on the railway from Paris to Muhlhausen, 110 m. S. E. of Paris; [top. in 1860, 4,860. The Seine divides it into two parts, one of which is called Bourg and the other Chaumont. Formerly they were both enclosed by separate walls and ditches and defended by a castle, which still remains in the quartier de Chaumont. An active trade is carried on in the products of the country, and the industrial establishments comprise manufactories of cloth, serge, hats, and woollen and cotton yarns, tan yards, bark and fulling mills, and important iron works. Marshal Marmont was born here, and built on the spot a fine chateau. In the 12th century the town was an important military station, and the residence of the early dukes of Burgundy. Previous to the first revolution it was the capital of the Pays de la Mon-tagne, which formed part of the government of Burgundy. In February, 1814, a conference was held here between the representatives of Napoleon and the allied sovereigns.
On Nov. 19, 1870, Ricciotti Garibaldi surprised here a detachment of the 14th German army corps, which suffered severe loss, and was forced to fall back upon Chateauvil-lain. The town contains remarkable antiquities.