Chester Dewey, D. D., an American clergyman, born at Sheffield, Mass., Oct. 25, 1784, died in Rochester, N. Y., Dec. 15, 1867. He graduated at Williams college in 1806, was licensed to preach in 1808, and during the latter half of that year officiated in Tyring-hara, Mass. The same year he accepted a tutorship in Williams college, and in 1810 was appointed to the chair of mathematics and natural philosophy, and occupied it 17 years. From 1827 to 1836 he was principal of the gymnasium at Pittsfield, Mass., and was also professor of chemistry in the medical colleges there and at Woodstock, Vt. In 1836 he became principal of the collegiate institute at Rochester, N. Y., and in 1850, on the establishment of the university of Rochester, he was elected professor of chemistry and natural history, from which position he retired in 1860. He was active in efforts for the advancement of public schools, and was for a time president of the teachers' institute. He made the study of grasses a specialty, and discovered and described several new species. In the class of carices he was a recognized authority, and his writings on this subject make an elaborate monograph, patiently prosecuted for more than 40 years.
He was an extensive contributor to the "American Journal of Science and Arts," and wrote numerous papers on botany, and a "History of the Herbaceous Plants of Massachusetts," which was published by the state. His latest publications were two review articles, "The true Place of Man in Zoology," and "An Examination of some Reasonings against the Unity of Mankind." For nearly 50 years of his active life Prof. Dewey delivered an average of 70 sermons a year, though he was never a pastor.