Chitteldroog, Or Chitradurg (Anc. Sitala Durc/a, "the spotted castle"), a town of British India, in the province of Mysore, capital of a district of the same name, 280 m. W. N. W. of Madras, 125 N. of Seringapatam, and 70 m. S. of Bellary; lat. 14° 14' N., lon. 76° 27' E. It is situated in a fertile plain, noted for the excellence and variety of its fruits. The town is neither large nor populous, but was formerly one of the strongest places in India. Its fortress, crowning a high rock at the back of the town, is one of the finest specimens of rock fortification in S. Hindostan. Walls of solid masonry encircle it several times with many intricate windings, and completely guard every accessible point. The ascent is performed partly by the aid of notches cut in the rock. Hyder Ali besieged the town in 1776, at which time it was held by a Avarlike and fanatic tribe called the Beders. During the siege they erected upon the highest part of the citadel a temple to the goddess of destruction, upon whose propitiation they thought their safety to depend, and every week, after solemn rites performed before her image, they rushed forth with desperate frenzy to procure human heads to lay at her shrine.
These sallies were seldom unsuccessful, and when the place was finally taken 2,000 heads were found piled before the temple. Hyder obtained possession of the town by treachery in 1779. In the neighborhood of Chitteldroog are some curious caverns, supposed to have been used as dwellings by devotees of Siva.