Christian Daniel Rauch, a German sculptor, born in Arolsen, Jan. 2, 1777, died in Dresden, Dec. 3, 1857. He studied in Cassel, and in 1797 went to Berlin, where he was attached to the royal household till 1804, when Queen Louisa enabled him to study in Dresden and in Rome. He early became known by his bust of a daughter of Wilhelm von Humboldt and bass reliefs of "Hippolytus and Phaedra," "Mars," and "Venus wounded by Diomedes." In 1813 he finished his celebrated statue of Queen Louisa, and subsequently executed hundreds of works, of which almost every considerable German city has one or more. The principal are statues of King Maximilian at Munich, Blücher at Berlin and at Breslau, Dürer at Nuremberg, Luther at Wittenberg, Kant at Königsberg, six large Victories in the Walhalla, and especially his colossal equestrian statue of Frederick the Great at Berlin, finished in 1851. His last model, that of "Moses praying together with Aaron and Hur," has been cut in marble by Albert Wolf. He held the posts of court sculptor and professor of sculpture in the academy of Berlin.