Cotrone (anc. Crotona), a town of S. Italy, in the province and 36 m. N. E. of the city of Catanzaro, on the Ionian sea, at the mouth of the river Esaro; pop. about 6,000. It is a poor town, but is defended by a strong citadel erected by Charles V. The harbor is protected by a tongue of land, On which the town is laid out, and by a mole built of the materials of the temple of Juno, on a promontory 6 m. S. E. It is the seat of a bishop, and contains a cathedral, five churches, and several convents, houses of refuge, and hospitals, including one for soldiers. Licorice root and orange and olive trees are extensively cultivated; the oranges, being sent to Taranto and thence exported, are known in foreign markets under the latter name. The region is rich in cereals and wine. The town is on the railway which skirts the eastern coast of Italy. Steamers connect it with Naples and other ports. Co-trone surrendered to the English after the battle of Maida (1806), and when they withdrew it was besieged and taken by the French under Massena. (See Crotona).