Denbighshire, a maritime county of North Wales, bounded N. by the Irish sea, and bordering on England; area, 603 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 104,266. Its surface is much diversified; there are some level tracts in the north, but along the E. and W. borders extend mountain ridges. The principal rivers are the Conway, Dee, and Clwyd, none of which are navigable within its borders. The valleys and level tracts are remarkably fertile, producing grain, beans, and peas; the uplands yield some crops of barley, oats, and potatoes, but are mostly occupied by pastures; cattle, sheep, and goats are reared in great numbers, and excellent cheese is made. Among the minerals are coal and iron, both very valuable, lead, slate, freestone, and millstone. Immense quantities of limestone, used for fluxing ironstone, are exported into Staffordshire, and the yield of one quarry, near Llangollen, is said to be sometimes between 70,-000 and 100,000 tons in a single year. The county has no seaport, and its chief channel of transportation is the Chester and Holyhead railway, which crosses it near the coast. The Chester and Shrewsbury railway runs S. about 14 m., just within its E. boundary.

A branch of the Ellesmere canal traverses the vale of Llangollen. The chief towns are Denbigh, Ruthin, and Wrexham. - Before the Roman conquest Denbighshire was the territory of the Ordo-vices, and it was annexed to the empire only after long struggles. It contains several interesting Roman remains. It was the scene of many fierce contests under the Saxons and the Normans, in the wars of the Roses, and in the revolution of the 17th century.