Eichstadt, a town of Bavaria, on the river Altmuhl, 56 m. N. N. W. of Munich; pop. in 1871, 7,011. It is the seat of a bishop and has several schools and hospitals. Its manufactures are chiefly woollen and cotton fabrics, iron and stone ware, and beer. The most remarkable public buildings are the castle, the council house, and the cathedral, a fine Gothic edifice. The castle of Wilibaldsburg, which overlooks the town from a height of 1,200 ft., was formerly the residence of the bishops, and is now used for barracks. - Eichstadt was founded by the Anglo-Saxon St. Wilibald, created bishop about 745, whose statue is in one of the public squares. It increased in size through the pilgrimages made to the shrine of St. Walpurgis, whose remains were deposited there in 871, and whose church is still visited annually by thousands of pilgrims. Upon the death of Count Hirschberg, in 1305, the bishopric was endowed with his estates, and afterward it became one of the richest foundations of Germany. It was secularized in 1802, and erected into a principality, and in 1805 was incorporated into Bavaria. The principality was in 1817 assigned with other territory to Eugene Beauharnais, duke of Leuchtenberg. It ceased to be a principality in 1854. The present bishopric of Eichstadt is under the jurisdiction of the archbishop of Bamberg.