Elbing, a town of Prussia, in the province of West Prussia, and in the district and 34 m. E. S. E. of the city of Dantzic, situated upon a river of its own name, 5 m. from the Frische Ilaff; pop. in 1871, 28,600. The city is composed of the old and new towns, and several suburbs, and is in part enclosed within ancient fortifications. It has one Catholic and nine Protestant churches, a synagogue, a gymnasium in which is the city library of 24,000 volumes, and several hospitals and charitable institutions, including one founded by an Englishman named Cowle, in which 400 children are educated. The principal manufactures are of sugar, pearlash, tobacco, soap, chiccory, vitriol, sail cloth, and leather and woollen fabrics. Ship building, especially of iron, has of late become of great importance. On account of the shallowness of the Frische Haff, foreign commerce is carried on by way of the Kraffohl canal (from Elbing to the Nogat, a branch of the Vistula) and Dantzic; but as Elbing communicates with the lakes of E. Prussia through the Oberlandische canal, its inland business is large.
The chief exports are grain, timber, staves, hemp, flax, feathers, horse hair, wool, fruit, butter, and manufactured goods.