Holyoke , a city of Hampden co., Massachusetts, on the W. bank of the Connecticut river, 7 m. N. of Springfield and 80 m. W. by S. of Boston; pop. in 1850, 3,245; in 18G0, 4,997; in 1870, 10,733, of whom 5,490 were foreigners. It is regularly laid out on high ground, is divided into seven wards, and is lighted with gas and supplied with water from Ashley pond. The Connecticut River railroad and a branch of the New Haven and Northampton line pass through the city. Its prosperity dates from the construction in 1849 by the Hadley Falls company, now the Holyoke water power company, of a dam across the Connecticut, which here falls 60 ft. in three fourths of a mile. (See Dam.) The principal manufactures are of cotton and woollen goods and of paper, the latter being the most important. There are 16 paper mills, with capacity for 50 tons a day, of which 8 manufacture writing paper and the rest collar, blotting, and wrapping paper; 7 cotton mills, with 136,000 spindles, producing spool cotton, twine, thread, yarn, cottonades, ginghams, dress goods, sheetings, shirtings, drills, lawns, etc.; and 6 woollen mills with 29 sets of machinery, manufacturing beavers, cassimeres, doeskins, and horse blankets.
There are also a shoddy mill, a manufactory of flocks, two machine shops, a screw mill, a flour mill, three lumber mills, and two national banks with a capital of 8400,000. The assessed value of property in 1873 was $8,578,192. The city has 31 public schools, having 44 teachers and an average attendance of 1,221 pupils in 1872; a weekly newspaper, and 8 churches. - Holyoke was originally a part of Springfield. It was incorporated as a part of West Springfield in 178G, receiving the name of Ireland parish, and became a separate town in 1850. It received a city charter in 1873.