An E. County Of Pennsylvania, bounded E. by the Delaware river, which separates it from New Jersey, and intersected toward the south by the Lehigh river; area, 370 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 61,432. The Kittatinny or Blue mountains form the N. W. boundary, and the South mountain is on the S. E. In the valley between them are beds of valuable limestone, quarries of slate, and several iron mines. Several railroads and three canals meet at Easton. The chief productions in 1870 were 473,295 bushels of wheat, 122,584 of rye, 707,494 of Indian corn, 539,067 of oats, 23,838 of buckwheat, 232,038 of potatoes, 36,240 tons of hay, 14,271 lbs. of wool, 843,541 of butter, and 3,134 gallons of wine. There were 7,999 horses, 10,841 milch cows, 4,060 other cattle, 5,562 sheep, and 17,073 swine. The total number of manufacturing establishments was 655, with $7,099,285 capital; value of annual products, $12,530,834. The principal were 9 manufactories of agricultural implements, 4 of boats, 17 of brick, 19 of carriages and wagons, 2 of railroad cars, 31 of men's clothing, 2 of cotton and 4 of woollen goods, 9 of furniture, 4 of pig iron, 3 of forged and rolled iron, 13 of castings, 16 of tanned and 9 of curried leather, 19 of lime, 3 of machinery, 4 of paints, 14 of roofing materials, 16 of saddlery and harness, 11 of school slates, 26 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 26 of cigars, 1 of wire, 2 of zinc, 7 breweries, 33 flour mills, and 20 saw mills.
A S. E. County Of Virginia, forming the S. extremity of the peninsula lying between Chesapeake bay and the Atlantic ocean; area, 320 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,046, of whom 4,848 were colored. The coast line on the west is indented by numerous inlets, and on the east, in the Atlantic, are several small islands. The surface is level and the soil light and sandy. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,747 bushels of wheat, 266,594 of Indian corn, 139,668 of oats, 61,616 of Irish and 79,689 of sweet potatoes, and 2,372 lbs. of wool. There were 1,238 horses, 1,217 milch cows, 1,715 other cattle, 1,171 sheep, and 6,773 swine. Capital, Eastville.
A N. E. County Of North Carolina, bounded N. by Virginia, and S. W. by the Roanoke river; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,14,749, of whom 8,510 were colored. It has a diversified surface and generally fertile soil. It is traversed by the Seaboard and Roanoke, the Raleigh and Gaston, and the Petersburg and Weldon railroads, and the Gaston branch of the last named line. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,-680 bushels of wheat, 320,924 of Indian corn, 36,860 of oats, 11,861 of Irish and 45,435 of sweet potatoes, 7,320 bales of cotton, 8,300 lbs. of tobacco, 3,348 of wool, 24,039 of butter, and 3,701 gallons of molasses. There were 1,317 horses, 896 mules and asses, 1,622 milch cows, 913 working oxen, 2,917 other cattle, 2,955 sheep, and 13,854 swine. Capital, Jackson.
Northampton, the shire town of Hampshire co., Massachusetts, on the W. bank of the Connecticut river, and on the New Haven and Northampton and the Connecticut River railroads, 80 m. W. of Boston and 15 m. N. of Springfield; pop. in 1850, 5,278; in 1860, 6,788; in 1870, 10,160. It contains four post villages, Florence, Leeds, Loudville, and Northampton. The last, the principal village, is noted for its beauty. It is situated on elevated ground about a mile W. of the river, has broad and well shaded streets, and commands a splendid view of the Connecticut valley and of Mts. Tom and Holyoke. It has water works, a fire department, and a street railroad, is lighted with gas, and is connected with Hadley on the opposite bank of the Connecticut by a bridge 1,230 ft. long and 26 ft. wide. Just W. of the village, on an eminence, surrounded with groves of forest trees, are the Round Hill water-cure establishment, with accommodations for 200 patients, and the Clarke institute for deaf mutes, founded by the late John Clarke in 1867, and endowed with $300,000. In the same vicinity is the state lunatic asylum established in 1858, with imposing buildings capable of accommodating 350 patients. Loudville is in the S. W. part of the town.
Florence and Leeds are manufacturing villages, respectively 3 m. and 5 m. N. W. of Northampton. The former is the seat of the Florence sewing machine company's works. The principal articles of manufacture are sewing machines, skates, brooms, machinery, foundery products, paper, agricultural implements, silk, cotton cloth, cutlery, carriages and wagons, emery wheels, files, furniture, mirrors, pencils, tape, wire, screws, turbine water wheels, and rubber goods. The town contains three national banks, with a joint capital of $1,150,000, three savings banks, a loan and trust company, a fire insurance company, five hotels, graded public schools, including a high school, a public library with 12,000 volumes, a female college, three weekly newspapers, and 11 churches, viz.: 2 Baptist, 4 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 2 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 Unitarian. - Northampton was settled in 1654.
Northampton, a municipal and parliamentary borough and market town of England, capital of Northamptonshire, on the left bank of the Nen, 60 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 41,040. It occupies the summit of an eminence rising from the river, over which there are several bridges. The principal manufactures are boots and shoes. There are also iron and brass founderies, flour mills, breweries, and coach factories. In 1872 it had 38 places of worship, of which 12 belonged to the church of England.