Kothen, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt, 33 m. N. W. of Leipsic; pop. in 1871, 13,563. It has two Protestant churches, a Catholic church, a synagogue, a palace with a library and collection of natural history and coins, a gymnasium, a normal school, and a school of landscape gardening. The trade in grain, wool, and other products is active, but the principal branch of industry consists in sugar refineries, which surround the town in almost every direction. It is at the junction of the Berlin and Anhalt, Magdeburg and Leipsic, and Kothen and Halberstadt railways. The gambling table which formerly existed at the depot has been abolished. - Kothen was formerly the capital of the duchy of Anhalt-Ko-tlien, long associated with German history as an important branch of the Anhalt dynasty.
Duke Augustus Christian Frederick, who died in 1812, produced by his reckless administration a great financial crisis, which under Duke Henry culminated in 1845 in bankruptcy; and an arrangement had to be made with the creditors, whose claims amounted to upward of 4,000,000 thalers. In 1853 Kothen was united with Dessau, and in 1863 the Anhalt territories were united into one duchy.