Labuan, a British island in the Malay archipelago, off the N. W. coast of Borneo, in lat. 5° 22' N, lon. 115° 10' E.; area, 45 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 4,803. The chief settlement is at Victoria at the S. E. end, where there is a government establishment and a fair harbor. In the interior are swampy tracts of jungle. The island is well supplied with water, and good coal is found near the N. E. end. In 1866 about 12,000 tons were mined. Petroleum also is found, and ironstone and freestone are quarried. A railway has been built from the mines to the place of shipment, 5 m. distant, and several new roads have been opened. The chief exports are coal, sago, birds' nests, pearls, and camphor. The exports in 1872 amounted to £134,984 (including £65,890 reexports); imports, £129,198; total tonnage (exclusive of numerous native craft) entered, 7,708 tons; cleared, 7,808 tons. The colony was created an episcopal see in 1855. The island was ceded to Great Britain in 1846 by the sultan of Brunai, through the influence of Sir James Brooke, the rajah of Sarawak.