Lisieux (anc. Noviomagus), a city of Nor-mandy, France, in the department of Calvados, 25 m. E. of Caen; pop. in 1866, 12,617. It is situated in a fine valley, watered by the small streams Orbec and Touqucs. The principal street, traversed by the highway from Caen to Evreux, is spacious and handsome; the rest of the town is composed of narrow and tortuous streets, and most of the houses are of wood and present a wretched appearance. The finest edifice is the cathedral, a Gothic building of the 12th century. The episcopal palace is a fine building with beautiful gardens. Most of the manufactures of the arrondissement of Lisieux, chiefly linen, woollen, cotton, ribbons, etc, are sold here, and there is also a brisk commerce in grain, fruits, cider, hemp, flax, cattle, and the other produce of the country. - Lisieux was anciently the capital of the Lexovii. It was pillaged by the Normans in 877, burned by the Bretons in 1130, taken by Philip Augustus in 1203, by the English in 1417, and by Henry IV. in 1590. It became early the see of a bishop, but the diocese was abolished in 1801.