Loch Awe, a lake in Argyleshire, Scotland, 8 m. N. W. of Inverary. It is 24 m. long, and in few places more than 1 m. wide, encircled by rugged and precipitous mountains, the loftiest, Ben Cruachan, 3,670 feet in height. Its surface is dotted with small islands. On In-nishail are the remains of a small Cistercian nunnery, and a churchyard containing many curious old tombstones. On Innis Fraoch are some traces of an ancient castle, formerly the residence of the chief of the M'Naughtons. Innish Chounel was for several centuries the residence of the Argyll family. The castle of Kilchurn, whose square tower was built in 1440 by one of the Campbells, the founder of the Breadalbane family, stands on a rocky point of land, near the head of the lake. It was garrisoned as late as 1745 by the king's troops, but is now deserted. Several small streams flow into Loch Awe, one of which connects it with Loch Avich, and another with Loch Etive, an arm of the sea. l'he lake is celebrated for its trout and salmon.

AX, a town of S. France, in the department of Ariege, 21 m. S. E. of Foix; pop. 1,679. It is situated at the foot of the Pyrenees, over 2,000 feet above the level of the sea, in the midst of granitic mountains and at the junction of three valleys out of which flow the sources of the Ariege. It is celebrated for picturesque scenery, and especially for containing the greatest number and the hottest sulphurous springs in the Pyrenees. Near the hospital is a bath established in 1200 for the cure of leprosy, and still called leper's basin. Ax has been widely known as a watering place nearly 100 years, and contains now a number of bathing establishments, the so-called gun spring being the hottest. Over 50 springs issue from the junction of the slate and limestone with the granite, varying in temperature from a little over 100° to nearly 200° F.; and they burst forth so abundantly on all sides that the place has been figuratively described as being built over a subterranean reservoir of boiling water.