Locrport, a city and the capital of Niagara co., New York, on the Erie canal and the New York Central railroad (which here crosses the canal by a bridge 500 ft. long and 60 ft. above the water), 20 m. E. of Niagara ' falls, and 25 m. N. N. E. of Buffalo; pop. in 1870, 12,426, of whom 3,489 were foreigners. It is situated in a rich agricultural district, and has large quarries of very fine limestone and of sandstone flagging, which give employment to several hundred men. The surplus water of the Erie canal, which is here raised 60 ft. by five double combined locks, is distributed by means of a hydraulic canal three fourths of a mile long to various manufactories, furnishing an immense water power, and constituting one of the chief sources of prosperity. The city is lighted with gas, and contains 6 flour mills, 11 saw mills, a cotton and two woollen factories, the establishment of the Holly water works manufacturing company, three national banks with a capital of $500,000, two state banks, graded public schools, including a high school, a Catholic female seminary, three daily and four weekly (one German) newspapers, and 14 churches.
It was incorporated as a city in 1865.