Louis Antoine Henri De Bourbon Enghien, duke d', a French prince, of the Conde family, horn in Chantilly, Aug. 2, 1772, executed at Vin-cennes, March 21, 1804. He received an excellent education, served under his grandfather, Prince Louis Joseph, at the outbreak of the revolution in 1789, and accompanied his father and grandfather into exile. He bore arms against revolutionary France in the famous corps of royalist emigrants commanded by his grandfather, and distinguished himself by bravery and humanity to his prisoners. On the disbanding of the corps in 1801 he fixed his residence at a chateau near Ettenheim, Baden, being impelled to that choice, it is said, by his affection for the princess Charlotte de Rohan, who lived in Ettenheim, and to whom he was perhaps secretly married. Though it does not appear that he took part in any subsequent plots against the first consul, he was generally looked upon as a leader of the emigres, and was suspected of complicity in the attempt of Cadoudal to take Bonaparte's life. The reports of spies gave some color to these surmises, for it appeared that he was frequently absent for 10 or 12 days together, at which times it was supposed that he secretly visited Paris. It was thought that an unknown person who had been seen to visit Cadoudal at Paris, but who afterward proved to be Piche-gru, could be none other than the young duke.

Anxious to terrify the royalists, and to put a stop to their attempts upon his life, Bonaparte resolved to seize and execute the duke, and sent Gen. Ordener with 300 gendarmes to make the capture. The soldiers surrounded the chateau on the night of March 15, 1804, arrested the duke in his bed, and conducted him immediately to Strasburg, whence he was removed on the 18th to the fortress of Vincennes. He had received warning from Talleyrand and from the king of Sweden, through his minister at Carlsruhe, but his escape had been prevented by the delay of the Austrian authorities in forwarding a passport. The prisoner reached Vincennes on the evening of the 20th, and a few hours afterward a court martial, presided over by Gen. Hullin, assembled in the fortress. A mock trial was gone through, and, without the examination of witnesses or written testimony, the duke was found guilty on various charges of treason, and at once led out to execution. His requests to see the first consul and to be allowed a confessor were denied. He was shot by torchlight between 4 and 5 o'clock A. M., in the ditch outside the walls, and his body was thrown, dressed as it was, into a grave which had been dug the day before.

Bonaparte and his chief instruments took every pains to justify their conduct, and it has never been known who of them was most guilty.