Manitowoc, an E. county of Wisconsin, bordering on Lake Michigan, and drained by the Manitowoc, E. and W. Twin, and Sheboygan rivers; area, 612 sq. m.; pop, in 1870, 33,364. The soil is fertile and heavily timbered, pine lumber being the principal article of export. The chief productions in 1870 were 517,146 bushels of wheat, 92,881 of rye, 386,759 of oats, 30,176 of barley, 108,180 of potatoes, 80,-410 of peas and beans, 44,421 lbs. of wool. 575,319 of butter, and 26,937 tons of hay. There were 4,460 horses, 9,351 milch cows, 11,017 other cattle, 16,403 sheep, and 11,200 swine: 15 flour mills, 21 saw mills, 3 woollen mills. 11 tanneries, 11 currying establishments, and 10 breweries. Capital, Manitowoc.

Manitowoc #1

Manitowoc, a city and the capital of Manitowoc co., Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan, at the mouth of Manitowoc river, and on the Milwaukee, Lake Shore, and Western railroad, 105 m. N. E. of Madison, and 75 m. N. of Milwaukee; pop. in 1860, 3,059; in 1870, 5,168, of whom 2,577 were foreigners. It has a pood harbor and considerable trade, and contains several ship-building establishments, tanneries, and manufactories. There are a national bank, graded schools, a semi-weekly and four weekly (two German) newspapers, and live churches.