Matamoros, a frontier city of Mexico, in the state of Tamaulipas, on the right bank and 40 m. from the mouth of the Rio Grande, opposite Brownsville, Texas, and 450 m. 1ST. of Mexico; pop. about 12,000. It is situated in a plain on a bend of the river. The streets are wide and cross each other at right angles, and the houses are mostly of brick and built after the American style. Churches and convents are numerous; and there are several public and private schools. In fair weather good-sized vessels are towed up to the town; while at other times the entrance to the river, obstructed by sand bars, is difficult and often impossible even for schooners. The climate is extremely hot from April to September, with violent south winds, while from December to March, in the season of the northers, it is very cold, often with much snow. Although considered to be one of the most unhealthy places in Tamaulipas, Matamoros is the only gulf port exempt from yellow fever. Specie, hides, wool, and horses are the principal exports; cotton, linen, woollen, and silk fabrics, and machinery are imported, .mainly from the United States and Great Britain. - Matamoros was founded toward the commencement of the present century.
The Americans under Gen. Taylor occupied the town in May, 1846, after the victories at Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma. The people are mainly of Spanish descent; but there are many American residents, and English is almost as commonly spoken as Spanish.
The Cathedral, Matamoros.