Mooltan Or Multan, a city of British India, in the Punjaub, 193 m. S.W. of Lahore, with which it is connected by railway, and 3 m. from the left bank of the river Chenaub; pop. about 00,000. It is 3 m. in circumference, and has lofty houses but narrow streets, and the numerous bazaars and shops are also narrow. It is overlooked on the north by a fortress, whose walls, which are 40 ft. high on the outside, have 30 towers. In one of the angles of its interior is a large pagoda, supposed to be 1,000 years old, containing the graves of Eookurn Alum and many of his descendants. The local and foreign trade is extensive. The staple manufactures are silks, cottons, shawls, longees, brocades, and tissues. In the vicinity are extensive fruit gardens, and many ruins of tombs and of religious edifices. It is one of the most ancient cities of Hindostan. The English gained possession of it in 1849, after expelling the Sikhs.
Tomb of Rookurn Alum, Mooltan.