Mount Vernon, the home and burial place of George Washington, on the right bank of the Potomac in Fairfax co., Va., 9 m. S. by TV. of Alexandria and 15 m. from Washington city. At the time of Washington's decease the estate comprised several thousand acres. The mansion is beautifully situated on a swelling height crowned with trees and commanding a fine view up and down the Potomac. The house is of wood, two stories high and 96 ft. long with a lofty portico extending along the whole front. On the ground floor are six rooms, none large except the dining room. The library and Washington's bedroom remain as they were at the time of his death, and contain many articles of great interest. In front of the house sloping to the river is a lawn of five or six acres. About 300 yards S. of the mansion, on a hillside in full view of the river, is the old family vault, where the body of Washington was first laid and remained till 1830, when it was removed to a new vault at no great distance on the edge of a deep wooded dell.
Mount Vernon mansion was built by George Washington's elder brother Lawrence, who settled there in 1743, and named the estate in honor of Admiral Vernon, under whom he had served in the West Indies. George Washington added wings to the mansion, and greatly enlarged and embellished the estate, which was his home from boyhood till his death. He bequeathed it to Bushrod Washington, from whom it passed to his nephew John A. Washington. By him the mansion and 200 acres of land were sold in 1858 for $200,000 to the "Ladies' Mount Vernon Association," who design to hold it in perpetuity as a place of public resort and pilgrimage.
Ohio A City And The Capital Of Knox Co., on the N. bank of Vernon river, and on the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon, and Columbus railroad, and the Lake Erie division of the Baltimore and Ohio line, 40 m. X. X. E. of Columbus; pop. in 1870, 4,876. It is well and compactly built on gently as-cending ground, is lighted with gas, and has many handsome residences. It is surrounded by a fertile and well cultivated country, and has considerable trade. The river affords good water power. The city contains two iron founde-ries, a woollen factory, two flouring mills, two saw mills, two national banks, graded public schools, including a high school, two weekly newspapers, and eleven churches. It was laid out in 1805.
Indiana A Town And The Capital Of Posey Co., on a bend of the Ohio river, in the S. W. corner of the state, and on the St. Louis and Southeastern railroad, 160. m. W. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 2,880. It stands on a bluff commanding a view of the river, and has an active trade. It contains two hanks, two flouring mills, two saw mills, a foundery, a planing mill, and other manufactories, several schools, two weekly newspapers, and seven churches.