Nancy, a city of France, capital of the department of Meurthe-et-Moselle on the left hank of the river Meurthe, 170 m. E. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 52,978. It stands in a beautiful and fertile plain, and consists of an old and a new town. The many fine edifices, squares, and promenades render Nancy one of the handsomest of French cities. It is the seat of a bishop, and has faculties of law, medicine, sciences and literature, a lyceum, a school of forestry, 8 Catholic churches, 6 religious communities of men and 15 of women, and a num ber of learned societies. The chief edifices are the cathedral, a handsome modern structure, with two towers more than 250 ft. high; the church of St. Epvre, which contains several fine paintings, and a fresco attributed to Leonardo da Yinci; the church of the Cordeliers, in which is the mausoleum of the dukes of Lorraine; an ancient Gothic castle, which was nearly destroyed by fire on the withdrawal of the German troops in July, 1871; the museum, with pictures by Isabey, a native of Nancy, and other works of art; and hospitals. Hosiery, muslin, cotton yarn, woollen cloth, calico, lace, etc, are manufactured.
There are three fairs yearly, one of which lasts 20 days. - Nancy was the capital of the duchy of Lorraine from the 13th century till its absorption by France; and under its walls Charles the Bold, duke of Burgundy, was defeated and slain, Jan. 5, 1477, by Rene II., duke of Lorraine.