Ober-Ammergau, a village of Upper Bavaria, in the valley of the Ammer, 46 m. S. W. of Munich; pop. about 1,100, who are chiefly engaged in carving on wood. It is celebrated for the decennial performance on 12 consecutive Sundays, in the summer season, of a play representing the passion and death of Christ, in which 350 actors are employed, besides 80 members of the orchestra and chorus, all selected from the villagers, several of whom display great dramatic power and genius. The performances generally last from 8 A. M. to 4 P. M. A considerable portion of the space allotted to the theatre is uncovered. There is room for from 5,000 to 6,000 spectators, but the attendance is generally much larger, including visitors from foreign countries. The performance in 1870, interrupted by the Franco-German war, was resumed in 1871. It is the only important passion or miracle play which continues to be performed. It originated in a vow taken by the population in 1634 to perform it every ten years, in the event of their escaping from the plague which then prevailed. - See Das Passionspiel in Oberammergau, by Devrient (Leipsic, 1851); Das Ammergauer Passionspiel im Jahre 1870, by Holland (Mün-ster, 1870); and "The Homes of Ober-Ammer-gau," with etchings and notes, by Eliza Greato-rex (New York, 1873).