Oberlix, a village of Lorain co., Ohio, on the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railroad, 105 m. N. N. E. of Columbus, and 34 m. by rail W. S. \V. of Cleveland; pop. in 1870, 2,888. It is principally noted as the seat of Oberlin college, founded in 1833 and named after J. F. Oberlin. This institution, under the direction of the Evangelical Congregation-alists, admits students without distinction of sex or color, occupies eight commodious buildings, and has a library of 12,000 volumes. It embraces theological, college (classical), scientific, ladies', classical preparatory, and English preparatory departments, and a conservatory of music. The number of students in the theological department in 1874-'5 was 39; college, 159; scientific, 62; ladies', 170; classical preparatory, 210; English preparatory, 481; conservatory of music, 347; total, deducting repetitions, 1,330 (697 males and 633 females). The whole number of instructors was 33. In the theological department tuition and room rent are free.
The number of alumni of the college is 719; theological department, 295; scientific department, 2; ladies' department, 572. The village has a national bank, several manufactories, a weekly newspaper, and five churches.