Lonoke, an E. central county of Arkansas, formed in 1873 from portions of Prairie and Pulaski cos. It is well watered, and the surface is diversified by hills, prairies, and bottom lands. Much of the soil is fertile, producing large crops of corn and cotton. It is traversed by the Cairo and Fulton and the Memphis and Little Rock railroads. Capital, Lonoke.
Lonrenz Alma Tadema, a Dutch painter, born at Drouryp, West Friesland, Jan. 8, 1836. He studied under Leys at Antwerp in 1861, and became known as a painter of classical subjects. His wife, the countess Pauline Dumou-lin, died in 1869, and in 1870 he married an English woman and removed to London. His works include "Venantius Fortunatus and Radegond" (1862), "How they enjoyed themselves in Egypt 3,000 Years ago" (1863), "The Mummies" (1867), "The Siesta of Ancient Romans" (1868), "The Vintage Celebration at Rome " (1870), " The Last Plague of Egypt" (1872), and "The Picture Gallery" (1874).
Lons-Le-Saulnier, a town of Franche-Com-te, France, capital of the department of Jura, on the Seille, 69 m. N. E. of Lyons; pop. in 1866, 9,943. It has a communal college, a tribunal of commerce, a public library, a museum, two very ancient churches, and a salt spring discovered in the 4th century, to which it owes its surname (Lat. Salinarius), and from which much salt is produced. The principal manufactures are hosiery and bonnets.
Lophiodon (Cuv.), an extinct tapir-like un-gulated mammal, called tapirotherium by De Blainville, found in the eocene tertiary deposits of central Europe. The dental formula, according to Pictet, is: incisors 3/3 -3/3, canines 1/1- 1/1, and molars 6/6 - 6/6. The dentition resembles that of the tapirs, and the generic name indicates the transverse ridges of the molars; but these are more oblique than in the tapirs, single in the anterior teeth, and triple in the posterior. Their remains are not found in the diluvium, pliocene, or miocene, but in the eocene freshwater strata. Of the eight species mentioned by Pictet, the largest is the L. Isselense (Cuv.), one third larger than the Indian tapir, and of the size of a small rhinoceros.
Lorain, a N. county of Ohio, bordering on Lake Erie, drained by Black river and Beaver creek; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 30,308. The surface is level and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis, and the Lake Shore railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 207,518 bushels of wheat, 563,083 of Indian corn, 412,949 of oats, 25,062 of barley, 267,-928 of potatoes, 405,478 lbs. of wool," 1,148,-946 of butter, 864,172 of cheese, and 59,936 tons of hay. There were 8,811 horses, 21,444 milch cows, 10,463 other cattle, 73,146 sheep, and 11,949 swine; 4 manufactories of agricultural implements, 15 of carriages, 1 of iron castings, 1 of machinery, 8 of saddlery and harness, 4 tanning and currying establishments, 3 flour mills, and 15 saw mills. Capital, Elyria.