A N. W. County Of Georgia, drained by branches of the Chattahoochee, Tallapoosa, and Etowah rivers; area, about 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,639, of whom 556 were colored. Its surface is uneven and traversed by elevated ridges; the soil in the valleys is fertile. The productions in 1870 were 29,779 bushels of wheat, 153,132 of Indian corn, 12,-887 of oats, 12,974 of sweet potatoes, 57,995 lbs. of butter, and 1,322 bales of cotton. There were 543 horses, 1,378 milch cows, 2,034 other cattle, 2,882 sheep, and 8,990 swine. Capital, Dallas.
A N. W. County Of Ohio, bordering on Indiana, drained by the Maumee and Auglaize rivers; area, 432 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,544. Its surface is level, covered with forests, and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Wabash and Erie and the Miami Extension canals, and the Toledo, Wabash, and Western railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 56,555 bushels of wheat, 55,499 of Indian corn, 23,938 of oats, 20,002 of potatoes, 135,131 lbs. of butter, 19,107 of wool, and 5,740 tons of hay. There were 1,662 horses, 1,693 milch cows, 2,463 other cattle, 5,975 sheep, and 3,898 swine. Capital, Paulding.