Talavera De La Reyna (anc. Talabriga), a town of Spain, in the province of Toledo, on the Tagus, 64 m. S. W. of Madrid; pop. about 9,000. It is a place of great antiquity, and was the scene of many conflicts between the Moors and Christians. On July 27 and 28, 1809, a battle was fought in the immediate vicinity, between the French, under Victor, Jourdan, and Sebastiani, and the British, under Sir Arthur Wellesley. In the decisive contest of the 28th, 30,000 French were driven back by 16,000 British troops.
Taliaferro, a N. E. county of Georgia, drained by affluents of the Ogeechee and Little rivers; area, 185 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,796, of whom 2,987 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil generally fertile. Granite, gneiss, sulphuret of iron, and magnetic ore are found. It is intersected by the Georgia railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,418 bushels of wheat, 78,815 of;-Indian corn, and 3,024 bales of cotton. There were 543 horses, 2,120 cattle, 1,220 sheep, and 3,714 swine. Capital, Crawfordsville.
See Palm, vol. xiii., p. 20.
Tallahatchie, a river of Mississippi, the principal tributary of the Yazoo, rising in the N. E. part of the state, and flowing in a circuitous but generally S. W. and S. course 250 m. to its junction with the Yalobusha river to form the Yazoo. It is navigable by steamboats more than 100 m.
Tallahatchie, a N. W. county of Mississippi, intersected by the Tallahatchie river; area, about 750,sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,852, of whom 4,637 were colored. The surface is level and in many places swampy, and the soil fertile. The Mississippi and Tennessee railroad touches the N. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 203,425 bushels of Indian corn, 13,620 of sweet potatoes, and 6,760 bales of cotton. There were 842 horses, 954 mules and asses, 5,500 cattle, 908 sheep, 7,406 swine, and 6 saw mills. Capital, Charleston.
Tallapoosa, a river of Georgia and Alabama, which rises in Paulding co., Ga., flows S. W., S., and W. 250 m., and unites with the Coosa, forming the Alabama, about 10 m. N. of Montgomery. Its principal affluent is the Little Tallapoosa. It is navigable for steamboats more than 40 m. above the Coosa.
Tallapoosa, an E. county of Alabama, intersected by the Tallapoosa river, and drained by its branches; area, 700 sq. m.; pop in 1870, 16,963, of whom 4,190 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil in some parts fertile. The Savannah and Memphis railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 48,468 bushels of wheat, 267,764 of Indian corn, 33,-353 of oats, 26,236 of sweet potatoes, 5,446 bales of cotton, and 10,439 lbs. of wool. There were 1,224 horses, 1,198 mules and asses, 8,251 cattle, 3,538 sheep, 12,799 swine, and 26 flour mills. Capital, Dadeville.