Tabasco, a S. E. state of Mexico, bounded N. by the gulf of Mexico, E. by Campeachy, S. by Guatemala and Chiapas, and W. by Vera Cruz; area, 12,716 sq. m.; pop. in 1871,83,-707, chiefly Indians. The coast is indented by several bays and lagoons, and there are islands toward its N. E. extremity, the most important of which are Laguna, Carmen, and Puerto Real. The surface is generally flat and in some places marshy, and there are several small lakes. The rivers, with the exception of the Usumasinta and Tabasco, are generally small, and they all overflow at certain seasons. The climate is hot and unhealthful; and between September and March gales render navigation dangerous even on the rivers. Oak, cedar, ironwood, and mahogany abound. Cacao, coffee, pepper, sugar cane, palmetto, tobacco, maize, and rice are cultivated; in some places indigo grows spontaneously; and wild bees afford large supplies of wax and honey. Capital, San Juan Bautista.
See United States (geological part).
Tael, a Chinese measure of weight, equal to 11/3 oz. avoirdupois. The Chinese government does not coin gold or silver. All payments are made in bullion or foreign coins, by weight; hence the tael (Chin. liang) has become a money of account, and 720 taels are received at Hong Kong and Shanghai as equivalent to 1,000 Mexican dollars. Taking the value of the Mexican dollar as fixed by the secretary of the treasury of the United States, Jan. 1, 1875, the tael would be equivalent to 1.386 United States dollar. The name is sometimes applied to the money of Japan, Siam, and Sumatra, and is probably of Malay origin.
See Cape Matapan.
See Society Islands.
Tahlequah, the capital of the Cherokee nation, Indian territory, in the valley of Illinois river, a tributary of the Arkansas, 170 m. W. N. W. of Little Rock, Ark., and 15 m. E. of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroad; pop. about 300. The capitol, of brick, cost $20,000, and is in the centre of the public square. There are two schools and a weekly newspaper (Cherokee and English).
See China, vol. iv., p. 463.
Tairomemum, an ancient Greek city on the E. coast of Sicily, about half, way between Messana and Catana, founded on the hill of Taurus, overlooking the sea, after the destruction of Naxos, 3 m. to the south, by Dionysius the Elder of Syracuse, in 403 B. C. In 394 Dionysius besieged it unsuccessfully for a long time, but it fell into his hands in 392. In 358 Andromachus, the father of the historian Ti-mseus, is said to have collected all the exiled Naxians, and established them at Taurome-nium. In 344 Timoleon landed here, but left Andromachus in possession. Subsequently it fell into the hands of Hiero, king of Syracuse. During the servile war in Sicily (184-132) it was desperately defended by the insurgent slaves. It was one of the last places taken from the Greek emperors by the Saracens (906), who destroyed it. The modern village of Taormina occupies its site.