Ahmedabad', chief town of a district in Guzerat, second amongst the cities of the province of Bombay, is 50 miles NE. of the head of the Gulf of Cambay. It was built in 1412 by Ahmed Shah, and finally came to the British in 1818. In the 18th century it was one of the largest and most magnificent cities in the East, with a population of 900,000. Its architectural relics are gorgeous, even in the midst of decay, and illustrate the combination of Saracenic with Hindu forms mainly of the Jain type. The Jama Masjid, or Great Mosque, rises from the centre of the city, and is adorned by two superb minarets. There are some twelve other mosques (one lined with ivory) and six famous tombs. The modem Jain temple is of singular beauty. The prosperity of the place was almost wholly destroyed by the rapacity of the Mahrattas, but it has largely recovered, and is still famous for its rich fabrics of silk and cotton, brocades, pottery, paper made of jute, and articles of gold, silver, steel, and enamel. Pop. 185,900.