Perigueux (Payr-ee-guh'), a town of France, formerly capital of Perigord, now in the dep. of Dordogne, and situated on the right bank of the Isle, a tributary of the Dordogne, 95 miles by rail NE. of Bordeaux. The cathedral of St Front is a Byzantine edifice, built in 984-1047, but spoilt by 'restoration' in 1865. The town museum is especially rich in Roman and other antiquities. Statues of Montaigne, Fenelon, and the soldiers Daumesnil and Bugeaud adorn the town. Iron is mined and worked, and woollens are manufactured. The celebrated pates de Perigueux, made of partridges and truffles, are largely exported. Pop. (1872) 21,316; (1901) 28,875. The Romans built another town on the opposite side of the river to the Gallic Vesunna, at the junction of five Roman roads. Close to the modern town are remains of a vast amphitheatre, aqueducts, baths, and temples. The tower of Vesunna, 89 feet high and 200 in circumference, has walls 6 feet thick, but has neither doors nor windows. The district of Perigord is noted for its caves and archaeological finds.