Pernambu'co, or Recife (Re-see'feh), the busiest seaport of North Brazil, stands at the easternmost point of the coast. It consists of three portions, connected by bridges - Recife ('the reef) proper, with narrow, winding streets, the chief seat of commerce, on a peninsula; San Antonio, with straight, wide streets, on an island between the peninsula and the mainland; and Boa Vista, where are the merchants' villas, on the mainland. The principal buildings embrace two arsenals, an observatory, the palace of the Bishop of Olinda (8 miles to the north), a law school, etc. The harbour, formed by a reef, has been much improved since 1889. Cottons, machinery, and tobacco are manufactured, and shipbuilding is carried on. The principal exports are sugar and cotton, with rum, hides, dye-woods, etc.; the principal imports are cottons and woollens, fish and meat, vegetables, minerals, wines, etc. Britain, the United States, and France have the largest shares in this trade. Pop. (1878) 94,493; (1905) 130,000. Recife was founded by the Spaniards in the second half of the 16th century. Sir James Lancaster captured it in 1595, the Dutch in 1630, and the Portuguese in 1654. - The province has an area of 49,625 sq. m. and a pop. of 1,254,000.