1. Why is a piece of metal nicked in order to break it when cold ?
2. What is the weight of a bar of flat iron ½ inch thick, 2 inches wide and 13 feet 6 inches long?
5. What is the difference between drop forging and pressing?
7. What effect does hammering have upon iron and steel when properly done?
8. How is the blast created for a forge?
9. What is the use of a swage and flatter?
10. What is the scale, and how is it formed?
11. Describe the process of brazing.
12. How are the heavy pieces usually handled under the hammer?
13. What is meant by the critical temperature of steel?
14. What air pressures are used for the blast?
15. Tell what you can of casehardening.
16. How should metal be piled on a shingle for fagotting?
17. What is the weight of a wrought-iron plate 5/8 inch thick, 24 inches long and 10 inches wide?
18. What will be the length of a bar of iron at a temperature of 1050° F. if it is 6 feet 3 inches long at 60°?
19. What is the controlling factor in fixing the temperature to which steel can be heated without injury?
20. What is the best fuel to be used in a reverberatory furnace?
21. How does steel differ from cast and wrought iron?
22. Does water in itself tend to promote combustion in a forge fire?
23. What will be the length of a spike made from a bar 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches long? The spike to be in the form of a cone 2 inches in diameter at the base.
24. Describe drop forging.
25. Below what temperature should the hammering not be • carried when making a forging?
26. How does a cold-shut injure a piece of metal?
27. Which can be heated to the higher temperature without injury, iron or steel?
28. What is the difference in the effect between plunging red hot steel into oil and water?
29. How should the scale be removed from a forging during the several stages of its completion?
30. What is the weight of a bar of round iron 1 3/4 inches in diameter and 9 feet 10 inches long?
31. What will be the final length of a bar of iron 4 inches in diameter and 2 feet long, that has been drawn down to a diameter of 2 inches for a finished length of 2 feet? The bar will thus be 4 inches in diameter with one end 2 inches in diameter for a length of 2 feet.
32. What precaution should be taken when locating the welds of heavy shafts?
33. What effect does increase of the carbon in steel have upon the welding of the metal?
34. What are the fluxes used with iron and steel?
35. How does a reverberatory furnace differ from the ordinary forge?
36. What materials are used for casehardening?
37. What portion of a marine engine shaft is subjected to the heaviest stresses?
38. What are the principal tools used for heavy forging?
39. What is the weight of a wrought iron shaft 12 inches in diameter and 10 feet long having a hole 5 inches in diameter along its axis?
40. What should be the properties of a good blacksmith coal?
41. What is the common temperature at which iron and steel are worked?
42. What is the object of using a flux in welding?
43. How should the hammering of along shaft be done? That is, how should the blows be distributed?