This section is from the book "School Needlework. A Course of Study in Sewing designed for use in Schools", by Olive C. Hapgood. Also available from Amazon: School Needlework: A Course Of Study In Sewing Designed For Use In Schools.
Fig. 7. - Showing the work and hands in position.
1. Have the needle threaded, but make no knot.
2. Hold the cloth between the thumb and forefinger of each hand, as in Fig. 7.
3. With the right elbow away from the side, put the point of the needle through a few threads of the cloth, placing the thumb and forefinger of the right hand over it.
5. Draw the needle and thread through as in Drill No. 2.
6. Repeat until the motion is learned.