This section is from the book "The American Woman's Cook Book", by Ruth Berolzheimer. Also available from Amazon: The Domestic Arts Edition of the American Woman's Cook Book.
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
1/2 cup pimiento strips
Boiled or mayonnaise dressing
Put the cheese through a food-grinder and moisten slightly with milk or cream. Add pepper and salt to taste. Add chopped olives, shredded lettuce and pimiento strips. Press this mixture into the form of a brick and, when cool and firm, cut in slices. Place on lettuce leaves and serve with boiled or mayonnaise dressing.
Curly endive or chicory
French or mayonnaise dressing
Peel a whole melon. Cut a slice from end and remove seeds. Fill center with fruit gelatin and refrigerate until gelatin is firm. Slightly soften cheese with milk and frost the entire outside of melon. Serve in slices on crisp chicory, with dressing.
Garnish of peanut halves
Cut the eggs in half lengthwise, remove the yolks and combine with chopped peanuts or peanut butter and mayonnaise to moisten. Fill the whites with this mixture. Put two halves of egg on a plate, surround with curls of celery. Put two tablespoons of mayonnaise dressing over each egg and garnish with peanut halves. Lay a halved peanut on each celery curl.
6 hard-cooked eggs 1 tablespoon butter 1 tablespoon cream 1/2 teaspoon mustard Pinch cayenne
Remove the shells from the cold, hard-cooked eggs and cut a large piece from the top of each, take out the yolks and mix them to form a paste with butter, cream, mustard, cayenne, salt and anchovy paste. Put this mixture back into the hollows and lay the eggs on a dish of lettuce or cress. Garnish with radishes and small onions.
6 hard-cooked eggs 12 lettuce leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Cut the whites of eggs into rings and mix the yolks with the mayonnaise. On a platter arrange lettuce leaves to form cups. On these cups arrange the egg rings to simulate daisy petals and heap the yolks in the center. Cold string beans, boiled whole, may be used to simulate foliage if desired.
1. Avocado, grapefruit, romaine
2. Avocado, orange and cress
3. Avocado, peeled white grapes and chicory
4. Avocado, tangerine, pecans and lettuce
6. Chicory, escarole and grapefruit
7. Chicory, shredded cabbage and lettuce
8. Escarole, Chinese cabbage and cress
9. Chinese cabbage, tomato slice, radish, olive, in a pagoda
10. Endive, carrot sticks and grapefruit
11. Shredded carrot, Chinese cabbage and romaine
12. Orange, Bermuda onion and romaine
13. Tomato, cucumber, celery and onion
14. Potato diced, celery, cucumber, green pepper and pimiento
15. Green peas, peanuts, mint leaves and lettuce
16. Dandelion, escarole, pimiento and onion