This section is from the book "Materia Medica Pharmacy, Pharmacology And Therapeutics", by W. Hale White. Also available from Amazon: Materia Medica Pharmacy, Pharmacology And Therapeutics..
The petals of Rosa gallica Linne (nat. ord. Rosaceae), collected before expanding.
Asia Minor and Southern Europe; cultivated.
Usually in small cones, consisting of numerous imbricated, roundish, retuse, deep purple colored, yellow-clawed petals, having a roseate odor and a bitterish, slightly acidulous and distinctly astringent taste.
Dose, 1/2 to 1 dr.; 2. to 4. gm.
Fluid Extract of Rose is used to make Mel Rosae and Syrupus Rosae.
Dose, 1/4 to 1 fl. dr.; 1. to 4. c.c.
3. Mel Rosae. - Honey of Rose. - Fluid Extract of Rose, 120; Clarified Honey, to 1000.
4. Syrupus Rosae. - Syrup of Rose. Fluid Extract of Rose, 125; Syrup, 875.
Dose, 1 to 2 fl. dr.; 4. to 8. c.c.
The petals of Rosa centifolia Linne (nat. ord. Rosacea).
Western Asia; cultivated.
Roundish-obovate and retuse, or obcordate, pink, fragrant, sweetish, slightly bitter and faintly astringent.
1) Volatile oil, in minute quantities. (2) Mucilage. (3) Tannic Acid. (4) Malates and Tartrates,,
Synonym. - Attar of Rose. A volatile oil distilled from the fresh flowers of Rosa damascena Miller (nat. ord. Rosacea).
Cultivated in Bulgaria.
A pale yellowish, transparent liquid, having the strong fragrant odor of Rose, and a mild, slightly sweetish taste. Sp. gr., 0.865 to 0.880.
It is but slightly soluble in Alcohol.
Its principal constituent is Rhodinol, or Geraniol, C10H18O, a volatile oil, 12 to 14 per cent., very fragrant, It is an alcohol and is related to Linalool which occurs in Oil of Lavender flowers.
1. Aqua Rosae Fortior. - Stronger Rose Water. Synonym.- Triple Rose Water. Water saturated with the volatile oil of Rose petals, obtained as a by-product in the distillation of Oil of Rose.
Stronger Rose Water is used to make Confectio Rosae.
2. Aqua Rosae. - Rose Water. Stronger Rose Water, and Distilled Water, of each, one volume.
3. Unguentum Aquae Rosae. - Ointment of Rose Water. Synonym. - Cold Cream. Spermaceti, 125; White Wax, 120; Expressed Oil of Almond, 600; Stronger Rose Water, 190; Sodium Borate, 5.
The preparations of rose are pleasant vehicles, the confection for pills and the water for lotions. The infusion (B. P., not official dried petals, 2; diluted sulphuric acid, 1; water, 80) is mildly astringent. The ointment of rose water is a favorite soothing application for the skin.