Bar. See Bar-le-Duc, Bae-sue-Aube, and Bae-sue-Seine.
Bar, a town of S. W. Russia, government of Podolia, on the Rov, 53 m. N. E. of Kame-netz; pop. in 1867, 8,077. It is famous as the place where a confederation of Polish patriots was formed, chiefly under the lead of the Pu-laskis, with a view to combating Russian influence and the adherents of Russia in Poland, Feb. 29, 1768. The Russians took Bar by storm on the following May 28, together with 1,400 men and 20 pieces of cannon.
Bar. I. An enclosure made by a railing or partition for the use of counsel in courts, and to prevent their being incommoded by spectators; from whence is sometimes supposed to have come the term barrister, applied to those called within the bar. At this bar prisoners were placed for trial. The term is used collectively to designate those who as counsel are entitled to address the court. II. A low partition which in the houses of parliament and legislative halls generally separates from the body of the house a space near the door, beyond which none but members, clerks, and messengers are admitted except on leave. Persons charged with contempt are brought to the bar of the house; and at the opening and close of a session of parliament the commons go to the bar of the house of lords to hear the queen's speech.
Bars (Ger. Barsch), a county of N. W. Hungary, traversed by the Gran; area, 1,031 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 137,191, more than half of whom are Slovaks, and the rest Magyars, Germans, and Jews. It is mountainous in the north, where the rocky soil is unfavorable to agriculture, though fitted for cattle breeding. The south is very fertile. The county is chiefly celebrated for its mineral wealth, which embraces gold, silver, copper, iron, lead, and antimony; but the production of the precious metals is declining. The richest mines are those of Kremnitz, the Austro-Hungarian gold (Kremnitz) ducats being coined in that town. Capital, Aranyos-Maroth.