See Nadir Shah.
Kovar, a district of eastern Hungary, bor-dering on the counties of Marmaros, Szathmar, and Middle Szolnok, and on Transylvania; area, 423 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 51,744. From 1849 to 1860 the district belonged to the Tran-sylvanian circle of Dees; but in 1860 it was again constituted an independent Hungarian district. The principal places are Nagy-Som-kut, the capital, and Kapnik-Banya.
Kozlov, a town of Russia, in the government and 40 m. N. N. W. of the city of Tambov, on the Lesnoi Voronezh; pop. in 1867, 24,616. It has nine churches, and large tanneries and tallow-smelting establishments. It is a great centre of trade in grain, cattle, salted meat, tallow, and other articles; and there are in the district about 40 breeding stables of famous horses. - For Kozlov in the Crimea, see Eupatoria.
Krasso, a S. county of Hungary, in the circle beyond the Theiss, bounded N. by the Ma-' ros, and E. by Transylvania; area, 2,019 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 259,079, the majority of whom were Roumans and the remainder Germans, Croats, and Magyars. It abounds in rich pasturage, forests, and mines. The principal places are the county town Lugos, and the market town Krasso or Krassova, from which the county has its name.
Krayova, Or Krajova, a town of Roumania, capital of Little Wallachia, near the river Shvl, 113 m.W. of Bucharest; pop. in 1867, 21,521. It is a fine town, containing several churches, a court of appeal, a gymnasium, a normal and a Lancasterian school, and a public park. It has a considerable commerce, and in the vicinity are salt works. Sultan Bajazet was defeated here in 1397 by the Wallachian waywode Mirxa. The Russians occupied the town in 1853, and had several skirmishes with the Turks, who regained possession in May, 1854.
Krems, a town of Austria, in the crown-land of Lower Austria, at the entrance of the river Krems into the Danube, 38 m. W. N. W. of Vienna; pop. in 1870, 6,114. It has four churches, a college of the Piarists, a gymnasium, a military school, and manufactories of silk, velvet, and steel ware.
Krementchug, a town of European Russia, in the government and 60 m. S. S. W. of the city of Poltava, at the entrance of the Kagam-lyk into the Dnieper, over which a long bridge has been built; pop. in 1867, 20,251. It has seven churches, numerous factories of gold and silver ware, and is the most important commercial town of the government.
Kremnitz (Hun. Kormocz-Banya, the latter word meaning mine), the principal mining town and a free royal city of Hungary, in the county of Bars, 82 m. N. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 8,442. It is situated in a deep valley, surrounded by rugged hills and mountains, has soveral suburbs, a mint, various mining establishments, smelting and washing works, a vitriol factory, paper mills, and other manufactories, and contains the principal offices of the surrounding gold and silver mining region.
An aqueduct supplies it with water. Its mines consist of about a dozen principal and various minor shafts, the produce of which has greatly decreased in recent times. The Austrian ducats are coined in Kremnitz. The town was founded in the 12th century by German emigrants, whose descendants form the present population. It has a castle, a Catholic gymnasium, six churches, and a hospital for miners.