Koros, Or Nagy-Koros, a town of Hungary, in the county and 42 m. S. E. of the city of Pesth, on the railway to Szegedin; pop. in 1870, 20,091. It has a gymnasium. The inhabitants are mostly Magyars, and chiefly engaged in raising stock and in cultivating wine and corn.
Kortetz, Or Cortitz, an island of Russia, in the Dnieper river, 165 ft. above its level, in the government and about 40 m. south of the town of Yekaterinoslav. It is surrounded by masses of granite, and was a stronghold of the Cossacks until their removal in 1784, when the island, with its 16 villages, of which the principal one is named Kortetz, was selected by Catharine II. for a settlement of German Men-nonites, who are chiefly agriculturists. It has manufactures of cotton and woollen goods.
See Dahl, Vladimir Ivanovitcti.
Kosciusko, a 1ST. county of Indiana, drained by Tippecanoe river; area, 567 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 23,531. The surface is undulating and the soil mostly productive. It is diversified with several lakes and prairies. The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago, and the Cincinnati, Wabash, and Michigan railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 528,502 bushels of wheat, 276,820 of Indian corn, 73,591 of oats, 75,755 of potatoes, 86,430 lbs. of wool, 448,364 of butter, and 18,005 tons of hay. There were 7,964 horses, 6,504 milch cows, 7,740 other cattle, 29,909 sheep, and 19,443 swine; 6 manufactories of carriages, 2 of woollen goods, 7 flour mills, and 37 saw mills. Capital, Warsaw.
Kosel, a fortified town of Prussia, in the province of Silesia, on the Oder, and at the mouth of the Plodnitz, 25 m. S. S. E. of Oppeln; pop. in 1871, 4,517. It has a castle, two churches, a synagogue, and considerable trade. From 1306 to 1359 it was the capital of a duchy.
Koslin, a town of Prussia, in the province of Pomerania, 85 m. N. E. of Stettin; pop. in 1871, 13,360. It is the seat of a court of appeal, and has four churches, a gymnasium, and a normal school. On the public place is the statue of Frederick William I., who in 1718 rebuilt the town when the larger portion of it had been destroyed by a conflagration. A railway connects it with Stettin.
Kossuth, a N. county of Iowa, drained by a branch of Des Moines river; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,351. It has an undulating surface and a fertile soil. The Iowa and Dakota division of the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul railroad is in operation to the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 52,288 bushels of wheat, 65,137 of Indian corn, 67,825 of oats, 10,449 of potatoes, 86,131 lbs. of butter, and 7,442 tons of hay. There were 891 horses, 874 milch cows, 1,784 other cattle, 424 sheep, and 1,198 swine. Capital, Algona.
Kottbus, Or Cottbus, a town of Prussia, in the province of Brandenburg, on the Spree, 43 m. S. S. W. of Frankfort-on-the-Oder; pop. in 1871, 18,916, including many Wends, who have a separate church. It contains two other churches, a gymnasium, and a quaint old royal palace. Cloth and wool are extensively manufactured, besides other articles, and there is a considerable traffic. It is the capital of a large circle which formerly belonged to Lower Lu-satia as part of the territory acquired in 1445 by the elector Frederick II. of Brandenburg. The treaty of Tilsit allotted the circle in 1807 to Napoleon, who ceded it to Saxony. In 1813 it was reoccupied by Prussia.