Belleville, a city and the capital of St. Clair co., Illinois, 85 m. S. of Springfield and 14 m. S. E. of St. Louis; pop. in 1860, 7,520; 1870, 8,146. It is pleasantly situated on high ground. The surrounding country is productive and populous, and contains beds of coal. The city is actively engaged in trade and manufactures, and contains several churches and banks, a handsome court house, and 27 public schools (including a high school), attended in 1871 by 1,500 pupils. There is also a Roman Catholic academy, with 12 instructors and 180 male and 350 female pupils. A daily newspaper (German), and five weeklies, of which two are in German, are published. The St. Louis, Alton, and Terre Haute (Belleville and Southern Illinois division), and the St. Louis and Southeastern railroads intersect here.
Belleville, chief town of the county of Hastings, province of Ontario, Canada, situated about 50 m. W. of Kingston, on both sides of the river Moira, which here debouches into the bay of Quinte; pop. about 8,000. It is a port of entry, and does considerable business in imports, and also in the export of lumber, flour, and other agricultural produce. In the vicinity are iron works and quarries of valuable marble. The town is on the line of the Grand Trunk railway, and steamers ply regularly between this point and Kingston and Montreal.