An E. County Of Arkansas, separated from Mississippi by the Mississippi river, and intersected in the N. E. by the St. Francis and L'Anguille rivers; area, 725 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,372, of whom 10,501 were colored. It has a level surface, swampy in parts, and a fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 3,180 bushels of wheat, 293,849 of Indian corn, and 18,002 bales of cotton. There were 1,267 horses, 1,605 mules and asses, 1,178 milch cows, 2,387 other cattle, and 8,830 swine. It is traversed by the Arkansas Central railroad. Capital, Helena.
A N. County Of Kansas, bordering on Nebraska, and intersected by the N. fork of Solomon river; area, 900 sq. m. It is not included in the census of 1870. It has a rolling surface, consisting chiefly of fertile prairies. Capital, Phillipsburgh.
John, an American merchant, born in Andover, Mass., Dec. 6, 1719, died in Exeter, N H., April 21, 1795. He graduated at Harvard college, studied theology, preached for a time, and afterward engaged in mercantile pursuits. He endowed a professorship in Dartmouth college, contributed to Princeton college, and gave to Phillips academy at Andover $31,000, besides a third interest in his estate. He founded Phillips academy at Exeter in 1781, and endowed it with $134,000.
Jr Samuel, nephew of the preceding, born in North Andover, Mass., Feb. 7, 1751, died in Andover, Feb. 10, 1802. He graduated at Harvard college in 1771, was a member of the provincial congress, and of the constitutional convention of 1779, and state senator for 20 years, being for 15 years president of the senate. He was judge of the court of common pleas, commissioner of the state in Shays's insurrection, and lieutenant governor at the time of his death. He planned and organized Phillips academy at Andover, and secured endowments for it from his father, Samuel Phillips, a member of the governor's council, and from his uncles and cousin, and left $5,000 to the town for educational purposes. He was one of the founders of the American academy of arts and sciences of Boston.