Ragusa (Slav. Dubrovnik), a town of Dal-matia, on a small peninsula Of the Adriatic, at the foot of Mt. Sergius, 40 m. N. W. of Cattaro; pop. in 1870, 8,678. It has several towers and old walls, and the streets are connected by steps, the principal being the Corso. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop, and has several Catholic and Greek churches. The cathedral, built by Richard Coeur de Lion, contains Titian's "Assumption of the Virgin." The town is strongly fortified and of strategical importance. The number of vessels entering in 1872 was 519, tonnage 12,208. The harbor is small and exposed to the sirocco. The port for larger vessels is at Gravosa, or Santa Croce, 2 m. from Ragusa, where are many fine villas and a new and large ship yard. - Ragusa was founded in the 7th century, after the destruction of Ragusa Vecchia (the ancient Greek colony Epidaurus, now a small village 7 m. S. E. of the present town). In the middle ages it was a republic, and was successively under Greek, Venetian, Hungarian, and Turkish protection. In the 15th century it had a population of 40,000, which declined in consequence of the plague, earthquakes, and the diversion of trade to other places.
In 1807 it was occupied by the French under Gen. Lauriston, who soon after stood here a famous siege by the Russians and Montenegrins. Napoleon made Marmont duke of Ragusa, and incorporated it with the new kingdom of Illyria, with which in 1814 it passed to Austria.
Ragusa, a town of Sicily, in the province of Noto, 30 m. S. W. of Syracuse; pop. in 1872, 21,546. It is built on a steep ridge, and consists of Ragusa Superiore and Ragusa Inferi-ore, with separate municipalities. In the Capuchin convent are pictures by Novelli. The town has large cotton factories. There are ancient remains, probably of Hybla Minor.