Rennes, a fortified town of France, capital of the department of Ille-et-Vilaine, at the junction of the rivers Ille and Vilaine, 190 m. W. S. W. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 52,044. The court house is an ancient edifice, in which the estates of Brittany used to meet. There is a library of 45,000 volumes, and also a gallery of art. The town contains an academy with faculties of law, sciences, and literature, a secondary school of medicine, a theological seminary, and a normal college. Linen, woollen, leather, and pottery are manufactured. The Vilaine is navigable for barges, and canals lead to Brest, St. Malo, and Nantes. - The ancient name of the town was Condate, and the modern appellation of Rennes was derived from an Armorican tribe called by the Romans Re-dones. In the middle ages it was the capital of the Breton dukes, till it became united to France by the marriage of Anne of Brittany to Charles VIII. (See Brittany.) It withstood several sieges, the most remarkable of which was that of the English under the duke of Lancaster (1356), who was obliged to retire after six months.