Johann Gottfried, a German sculptor, born in Berlin, May 20, 1764, died there, Jan. 26, 1850. He studied the antique in Rome, and going to Berlin in 1788 attracted notice by a monument to Count von der Mark, natural son of Frederick William II. He was thenceforth extensively employed on monumental works, among which are a colossal statue of General Ziethen at Berlin, equestrian statues of Frederick the Great at Stettin and of Blücher at Rostock, and a statue of Luther at Wittenberg. For the last 28 years of his life he was director of the academy of fine arts in Berlin. He published several works on art.
Fried Rich Wilhelm Von Schadow-Godenhaus, a painter, son of the preceding, born in Berlin, Sept. 6, 1789, died in Düsseldorf, March 19, 1862. He went to Rome when young, coöperated with Cornelius and Overbeck in founding a new German school of art, and became a Catholic. He became professor in the Berlin academy of fine arts, succeeded -Cornelius in 1826 as director of the Düsseldorf academy, and was ennobled in 1843. Specimens of his style are: "Mignon" (1828), frequently engraved; the "Four Evangelists," in the Wer-der church, Berlin; the "Wise and Foolish Virgins," in the museum in Frankfort; the "Fountain of Life;" and an allegorical series entitled "Paradise," "Purgatory," and "Hell." After the completion of the last named work he became blind, but afterward partially recovered his sight. During his last illness he dictated a volume of memoirs.