Zoar, a village of Lawrence township, Tuscarawas co., Ohio, on the left bank of Tuscarawas river and the Ohio canal, 2½ m. N. of the Tuscarawas branch of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh railroad, 90 m. E. N. E. of Columbus, and 65 m. S. by E. of Cleveland; pop. in 1870, 326. The village was settled in 1817 by a com: munity of German immigrants from Würtemberg, under the principal leadership of Joseph M. Bimeler (originally Bäumeler), who died in 1853. They were incorporated in 1833, under the title of " The Society of Separatists of Zoar, O.," and are commercially known as the Zoar society. The system of the society is based on a community of property, with a board of three trustees for its commercial management, and a special committee of five members for its central (interior) government, elected by ballot annually. The tract of land now held is about 7,300 acres. The village is pleasantly situated on a moderately inclined plane, and contains a meeting house, a good school building and well conducted school, a public garden with greenhouse, a general store, a commodious hotel, a woollen factory, tannery, planing works, tin, wagon, blacksmith, cabinet, carpenter, and saddlery shops, bakery, dairy, etc.

The principal business of the society is general farming, with raising and breeding of live stock. - See "The Communistic Societies of the United States," by Charles Nordhoff (New York, 1875).