Albert Wolff, a German sculptor, born in Neu-Strelitz, Nov. 14, 1814. He studied in Berlin and in Italy. He assisted his teacher Rauch in various works, and after his death completed his marble group of "Moses." In 1866 he became professor at the Berlin academy of fine arts. His works include colossal statues of Frederick William IV. at Königsberg and of Frederick William III. at Berlin, the statue of Galileo for the university of Pesth, and many others, remarkable for classic taste.
Albert Zimmermann, a German painter, born in Zittau, Saxony, in 1809. He studied in Munich, and in 1837 became professor at the academy of Milan. He excels in landscapes. His works include "The Brocken and its Witches," "The Finding of Moses," "Lake Lugano," "Dawn," and a "Mountain View during a Storm," considered his masterpiece. - His brothers August Robert (1818-'64) and Richard (1820-75) were well known landscape painters, as is his brother August Maximilian or Max.
Albius Tibullus, a Roman poet, of the time of Augustus. He was of an equestrian family, and lived on his ancestral estate at Pedum near Rome. He went to Aquitania in 31 B. C. with his patron Messala, and when the latter had pacified that part of Gaul and set out to take command in the East, Tibullus accompanied him, but falling sick returned to Rome, and died young. Four books of elegies are attributed to him, but only the first two are undoubtedly his. Tibullus was a warm friend of Horace, who addressed two poems to him. The first edition of his works was printed, along with Catullus, Propertius, and the Silxoe of Statins, at Venice in 1472. Two of the best late editions are those of Rossbach (Leipsic, 1866) and Muller (Leipsic, 1873). The elegies of Tibullus have been translated into English verse by Dr. Grainger (1752), and a prose translation forms a volume of Bohn's " Classical Library" (London, 1854). - See Seiler, De Tibulli Elegia (Halle, 1872).
Albrecht Friedrich Weber, a German orientalist, born in Breslau, Feb. 17,1825. He studied in that city, in Bonn, and under Bopp in Berlin, where he became in 1856 extraordinary and in 1867 full professor of ancient Indian languages and literature. He is one of the foremost Sanskrit scholars of the present day, and his Indische Studien (10 vols., Berlin, 1849-'67) abound with original information in regard to the metrical system and other departments of Indian antiquity. He has edited the "White Yajur-Veda" (3 vols., Berlin, 1849'59), translated Indian dramas, and published many other works, including Akademische Vorlesungen über indische Literaturgeschichte (1852); Die vedischen Nachrichten von den Naxatra (2 vols., 1860-'61); Ueber ein Fragment der Bhagavati (2 vols., 1865-'8); Ueber das Edmdyana (1870); and Ueber ein zum ueissen Yajus geöbriges phonetisches Compendium des Pratijndsutra (1872).