Nervers, a town of France, capital of the department of Nievre, on the Loire, at the junction of the Nievre. 130 m. S. S. E. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 22,276. Caesar mentions the town in his "Commentaries" under the name of Noviodunum. It was formerly the capital of the province of Nivernais. In the middle ages it was ruled by counts and afterward by dukes, and was annexed to the French crown in the 17th century. It is the seat of a bishop, and has a lyceum, an episcopal seminary, a theatre, and a picture gallery. The old city walls and towers still remain. The cathedral of St. Cyr is much dilapidated, but contains a famous flamboyant doorway and a remarkable, spiral staircase. The palace of justice, formerly that of the dukes of Severs, is stately building, and the hotel de ville contains a museum of Gallo-Roman antiquities and pottery. This industry employs more than 700 persons. The iron works are extensive, and there is a cannon foundery here for the navy.
Nervii, an ancient people, one of the most warlike tribes of Celtic Gaul. Their territory extended from the Sambre to the ocean, and was partly covered by the Ardennes. Baga-cum (Bavay) was their capital, and Camaracum (Cambrai) one of their towns. They claimed a Germanic origin. They joined the Belgic league against Cassar, and, though numbering 60,000 men capable of bearing arms, were almost annihilated by him (57 B. C).
Ness, a W. central county of Kansas, watered by Walnut creek and Pawnee fork, affluents of the Arkansas; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2. The surface consists of rolling prairies, and the soil is productive.
Neshoba, an E. county of Mississippi, intersected by Pearl river and drained by its branches; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,439, of whom 1,703 were colored. Much of the land is uncultivated. The chief productions in 1870 were 176,189 bushels of Indian corn, 27,624 of sweet potatoes, 2,971 lbs. of tobacco, 2,492 bales of cotton, 6,471 lbs. of wool, and 5,438 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,549 horses, 513 mules and asses, 2,813 milch cows, 4,773 other cattle, 4,409 sheep, and 11,-774 swine. Capital, Philadelphia.
Nestor Kukolnik, a Russian author, born in 1808. He was employed in the civil service, and retired with the title of actual councillor of state. He became known in 1833 by his drama "Torquato Tasso," and in 1840 by a tragedy with choruses for which Glinka composed the music. His tragedy "Patkul" was favorably received in 1846, and the Crimean war suggested to him two plays, the "Naval Festival of Sebastopol" and the " Siege of Azov." He has also written many historical novels and stories, one of the most recent of which, "The Two Sisters" (St. Petersburg, 1865), relates to the Polish insurrection.
Neu-Strelitz, a town of Germany, capital of Mecklenberg-Strelitz, on the E. side of Lake Zierke, 57 m. N. N. W. of Berlin; pop. in 1871, 8,470. The streets are broad, and converge into the market square. The palace is surrounded by fine pleasure grounds. There are two churches, a gymnasium, a library of 70,000 volumes, and collections of German antiquities and coins. About 2 m. S. of Neu-Strelitz is Alt-Strelitz, the former capital.