Bexar, a S. W. county of Texas, bounded E. by the Cibolo river and watered by the San Antonio and Medina; area, 1,450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,043, of whom 2,303 were colored. The surface is undulating, the borders of the streams are well timbered, and the soil is fertile when irrigated. The chief productions in 1870 were 81,997 bushels of Indian corn, 117 bales of cotton, 7,910 lbs. of wool, and 22,952 of butter. There were 4,615 horses, 4,156 milch cows, 56,640 other cattle, 8,770 sheep, and 1,869 swine. Capital, San Antonio.
Bexar District, Or Territory, an unorganized and almost unsettled portion of Texas, in the W. part of the state, bounded S. W. by the Rio Pecos, a branch of the Rio Grande, and N. W. by New Mexico; pop. in 1870, 1,077. The S. E. portion of the district is a table land, the N. W. portion an elevated table land without wood or water, while the N. E. and E. central parts are well watered by the head streams of the Colorado and Brazos.
Bey Beg, and Beglerbeg, titles of honor among the Turks. Beg means lord or commander; the beglerbeg is "the lord of the lords." The sons of a pasha bear this title, and in the army an officer on being promoted to the rank of colonel obtains the title of bey. In the African provinces, the bey is the supreme officer of Tunis and Tripoli.
Bezoar (Pers. pad-zahr, poison expeller - /nit/, wind, and Zahr poison), a concretion, con-listing chiefly of bile and resin, met with as a round or orbicular calculus in the stomach, the intestines, the gall bladder, the salivary ducts, and even in the pineal gland, but mostly in the intestines of certain ruminant animals. Such bodies were once celebrated for their supposed medicinal properties, distinguished by the names of the animals or the countries from which they were obtained, and eagerly bought for ten times their weight in gold. Besides being taken internally as medicines, they were worn around the neck EM preservatives from contagion. Modern investigation and experi-ment have destroyed the charm of these wonderful calculi.
Bhatgax, Or Bhatgong, a town of N. Hindos-tan, in the valley of Nepaul, 5 m. S. E. of Cat-mandoo. It formerly had 12,000 houses and an estimated population of 80,000, with a palace and other buildings of fine appearance. Though much decayed, it is still the favorite residence of the Nepaulese Brahmans.
Bhooj, a city of S. W. Hindostan, capital of the native state of Cutch, 30 m. N. of the gulf of Cutch, and 160 m. S. S. E. of Hyderabad; pop. about 20,000. It stands at the foot of a fortified hill, is enclosed by a strong stone wall flanked with towers, and contains a castellated palace, a mausoleum, and several temples, mosques, and pagodas, interspersed with plantations of date palms. The fine appearance thus given to the city from a distance vanishes on entering the gates. An earthquake in 1819 destroyed the fort and many buildings, and caused great loss of life. Bhooj is famous for its manufactures of gold and silver.