Boulder

Boulder, a N. county of Colorado, bounded W. by the Medicine Bow mountains; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,939. It is watered by affluents of the South fork of the Platte river. The chief productions in 1870 were 54,891 bushels of wheat, 21,060 of Indian corn, 71,183 of oats, 3,898 tons of hay, and 84,253 lbs. of butter. There were 877 horses, 1,847 milch cows, 8,219 other cattle, and 183 swine. Capital, Boulder City.

Boulders #1

See Bowlders.

Bourbon-Lancy

Bourbon-Lancy, a watering place of France, in the department of Sa6ne-et-Loire, 20 m. N. W. of Charolles; pop. in 1866, 3,222. Its mineral springs, which are employed in nervous affections and rheumatism, were known to the Romans under the name of Aquse Nisineii. A fine hospital was established here by the marquis d'Aligre.

Bourbon-Larchambault

Bourbon-L'Archambault, a town of France, in the department of Allier, 15 m. W. N. W. of Moulins; pop. in 1866, 3,466. It is celebrated for its mineral springs and baths, said to be of great efficacy in cases of paralysis, rheumatism, and gun-shot wounds. It contains vestiges of the ancient castle of the Bourbon family, and was the capital of Bourbonnais.

Bourbon-Vendee

See Napoleon-Vendee.

Bourbonnais

Bourbonnais, a former province of central France, between the rivers Loire and Cher, now included chiefly in the department of Allier. It belonged for centuries to the ducal house of Bourbon, and was confiscated in 1523 by Francis I., and united to the French crown in 1531. Its ancient inhabitants were the AEdui and the Bituriges Cubi.

Bourbonne-Les-Bains

Bourbonne-Les-Bains (anc. Aqum Borvonis), a town of France, in the department of Haute-Marne, 21 m. E. N. E. of Langres; pop. in 1866, 4,053. It has hot mineral springs, which were resorted to by the Romans. The temperature varies from 120° to 150° F. The water is principally employed in cases of paralysis and rheumatism, spasms, and ill-reduced fractures. There is a military hospital here.

Bourdeilles

See Brantome.

Bourg, Or Bourg-En-Bresse

Bourg, Or Bourg-En-Bresse, a town of France, capital of the department of Ain, on the Reys-souse, 20 m. E. S. E. of Macon; pop. in 1866, 13,733. The streets are narrow, but there are fine public buildings. A lyceum was opened in 1856. Outside the walls is the church of Notre Dame de Brou, with celebrated monuments of its founder, Margaret of Austria, of her husband, Philibert of Savoy, and of her mother-in-law, Margaret of Bourbon; it has a sun dial reconstructed by the astronomer Lalande, who was born here. Bourg was important under the Roman empire, and successively belonged to the kings of Burgundy and the emperors of Germany, coming into the possession of France in 1601.

Bovines, Or Bonvines

Bovines, Or Bonvines, a village of French Flanders, on the Marcq, 7 m. S. E. of Lille, celebrated for the victory gained by Philip Augustus of France over Otho IV. of Germany, July 27, 1214. In 1340 Philip of Valois defeated here 10,000 English troops; and on May 17 and 18, 1794, the French here defeated the Austrians.