Caractacus, king of the Silures, an ancient British people who inhabited Wales, died about A. D. 54. He resisted the Romans for nine years. Ostorius, sent by the emperor Claudius, at length defeated him and took his wife and children prisoners. He himself took refuge with Cartismandua, queen of the Brigantes (York), who delivered him for a reward to the emperor. He was taken to Rome (51) and exhibited to the people; he afterward addressed the emperor in a speech which has been preserved by Tacitus. His proud bearing and noble and pathetic speech so won the admiration of Agrippina and Claudius, that they pardoned him and discharged him with presents.
Caramaiv, Or Karaman(anc. Laranda), a town of Asiatic Turkey, in the vilayet and 58 m. S. E. of Konieh, at the foot of Mt. Taurus; pop. about 12,000. It contains the ruins of several beautiful Saracenic mosques, one of which is of marble, covered with arabesques, and supported in the interior by rows of columns. There are also several temples of modern date, a handsome Armenian church, and a Turkish castle encompassed by a wall which also encloses about 100 houses. Coarse blue cotton cloths and similar fabrics are manufactured. - Little is known of the ancient Laranda, on or near the ruins of which the present town was founded in the 14th century by Karaman Oglu, a Turkish chief, after whom it was named. It was the capital of a Turkish kingdom until the subjection of Caramania by Bajazet II. in 1486, when the seat of government was removed to Konieh (Iconium). The name of Laranda or La-renda is still used by the Christian inhabitants of the country.
Caravaggio, a town of N. Italy, in the province and 14 m. S. of Bergamo; pop. about 7,000. The old walls have been recently demolished, but a ditch filled with water still remains, and is crossed by six bridges. The parish church has a high bell tower, and paintings by Campi; and the sanctuary of the Madonna, beautifully situated a little way out of the town, is a popular resort of pilgrims. In 1448 a Venetian army was totally defeated here by the Milanese under Francesco Sforza.
Caravellas, a seaport town of Brazil, in the province of Bahia, on a river and near the bay of the same name, 475 m. N. N. E. of Rio de Janeiro, in lat. 17° 32' S., Ion. 39° 14' W.; pop. of the town and district about 6,000. The town, though of small size, is handsomely built on a sandy elevation, and presents a cheerful and agreeable aspect. Its importance is mainly due to its being the port of the surrounding country, and the headquarters of the Abrolhos whale fishery. The fishery lasts from the end of June till the end of September; the cachalot is the whale chiefly caught, and each one usually affords from 2,000 to 3,000 gallons of oil, worth on the spot from 80 cents to $1 50 per gallon. There is also considerable coasting trade. In the neighborhood are extensive groves of cocoa palms.